Venture LLC offers first-year business students an exciting opportunity to live, learn, lead, and serve! Through a network of community members, peer mentors, instructors, and residence hall staff, students will make lasting connections and create a strong foundation for success at UT and in life beyond college.
Located in the heart of campus, Hess Hall serves as home base for all Venture LLC students. This newly renovated residence hall houses the Hess Grocery, a book and supply store, a work-out facility, two laundry rooms, and a post office. The state-of-the-art Haslam Business Building and Hodges Library are only a short walk from Hess Hall - providing easy access to numerous academic and technology resources. Social events and enrichment activities are planned throughout the year, allowing ample opportunity to meet students with similar interests and share in the excitement of being a Tennessee Volunteer!
By enrolling in common courses throughout the first year, Venture LLC students quickly develop strong bonds and have a unique opportunity to: form study groups; participate in tutoring sessions; build teamwork skills; interact with business faculty and executives; and connect to the College of Business Administration community.
- Business Administration 100 - Approaches to the College of Business Administration (1 hour)
- Math 123 - Finite Mathematics (3 hours)
- Communication Studies 240 - Business and Professional Communication (3 hours)
- Business Administration 102 - Service Learning Seminar (1 hour)
- Math 125 - Basic Calculus (3 hours)
- English 102 - English Composition II - or English 255 - Public Writing (3 hours)
Venture LLC emphasizes concepts of leadership and social responsibility so that students can begin building the skills and knowledge needed to become future business and community leaders. Guest speakers, field trips, and other enrichment activities provide students with the opportunity to connect coursework to their personal goals and interests.
Through community-based service learning projects, Venture LLC students have an opportunity to enhance their interpersonal and leadership skills through real-world projects while also gaining a greater appreciation of the role that business leaders play in the community.
Spring 2013 Service Partners:
- The Dogwood Arts Festival
- Junior Achievement of East Tennessee
- The University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute
What students have to say...
"Because of the Venture Living Learning Community, I have great instructors, met tons of new people, and developed friendships with other students with similar studies. I honestly can't think of what freshman year of college would be like without Venture."
"I am so happy that I know people in my classes that I will be continuing my college career with. It puts the small school feel in a very large school."
"This community means a lot to me because I really love being a business major and through this community I can explore all of my options in the major and make new friends in the process."
"I learned so many things about leadership, motivation, and professionalism through this program. I have grown not only as a student, but as a person."
Benefits of participating in a living learning community:
- Becoming a part of the UT and College of Business Administration communities more quickly
- Building friendships with people who share similar interests and academic goals
- Getting involved on campus and developing leadership skills
- Connecting with Peer Mentors who share a critical student perspective on college success
- Interacting with instructors outside of the classroom
- Participating in a variety of social and enrichment activities
- Contributing to the local community through service learning
HOW TO APPLY
Venture LLC is open to all first-year students in the College of Business Administration. Applicants will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students may apply to the learning community when submitting their housing contract. For more information, contact the Department of University Housing.
To learn more about Venture LLC, contact the Undergraduate Programs office at (865) 974-5096 or e-mail email@example.com.