Dr. Kenneth Gilbert
Regal Entertainment Group Professor of Business
Dr. Kenneth Gilbert joined the faculty in 1980. His research interests include the areas of production management and inventory control.
Dr. Kenneth Gilbert , a Professor and Program Chairman, holds a B.S. degree in Mathematics from Berea College, an M.S. in Mathematics from the University of Tennessee, and a Ph.D. in Management Science from the University of Tennessee.
Dr. Gilbert has published articles in numerous journals, including Management Science, Decision Sciences, IIE Transactions and the Journal for the Society of Computing Machinery . In his current research he is developing stochastic models (in particular, Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average Models) to describe the dynamics of supply chains . Dr. Gilbert regularly teaches a doctoral seminar in supply chain dynamics and also teaches in the UT Executive MBA program, the MBA/IE dual degree program in Manufacturing Management and is coordinator of the undergraduate curriculum in Lean Production. He also teaches in the UT Center of Executive Education Supply Chain Specialist certification course. He has served as a consultant to numerous companies.
UT Activities and Honors:
- Chairman, Management Science Program (1987-1993)
- MBA Core Faculty and member of the MBA program development team
- Executive MBA Faculty and member of the EMBA program development team
- Taiwan EMBA faculty
- Management Development Center Faculty
- Governors School in Manufacturing Faculty
- UT College of Business Administration Keally Award for Outstanding Teaching
- University of Tennessee Chancellors Award for Excellence
- Mukherjee and Gilbert, "Lagrangian Heuristics for Instructor Scheduling in Executive Development Programs. "to appear in Journal of the Operational Research Society.
- Gilbert, Kirby and Hild, "Control Charting Techniques for Autocorrelated Data," Quality Engineering, Volume 9, No. 3, March 1997.
- Gatian and Gilbert, "The Central European Need for Management Training and Advisory Services." Multinational Business Review, Spring 1996.
- Gilbert and Madan, "An Exact Algorithm for a Class of Production Planning and Scheduling Problems," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 43, No 10, pp 961-970. 1995.
- Gilbert and Hofstra, "A Multiperiod Multiple Traveling Salesman Problem with Heuristic and Application to a Scheduling Problem," with Ruth Hofstra, Decision Sciences, Jan-Feb 1992.
- Madan and Gilbert, "A Heuristic For a Class of Production Planning and Scheduling Problems," Institute of Industrial Engineers Transactions, 23, pp. 282-289 1991
- Gilbert, Reeves and Wannamacher, "Improving Information System Efficiency Through Statistical Process Control," Journal of Engineering Computing and Applications, Vol 3, No 1, 1988.
(The above article was also reprinted in Computer Integrated Manufacturing Review.)
- Gilbert and Hofstra, "Multidimensional Assignment Models," Decision Sciences, Vol 19, 1988.
- Gilbert and Hofstra, "An Algorithm for a Planar Three-Dimensional Assignment Problem Arising in Scheduling Applications," Institute of Industrial Engineers Transactions, March 1987.
916 Volunteer Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37996
Office: (865) 974-1738